Don’t forget your student insurance – Parents must make sure they arrange cover


Released  25th August 2008  

Summary:  With the start of the university year fast approaching, one item of expenditure usually forgotten is the insurance for the student. As students are usually on very tight budgets with many now holding part time jobs, it is essential that parents help arrange insurance cover.

The A level results are now out and the annual University intake arrangements are under way. In the last few days two surveys have been published by NatWest and the Halifax showing living costs and according to the NatWest survey 42 per cent of the student population will be in part time employment when they start this academic year.

The Halifax research has revealed that accommodation costs on average in the UK are £74.70 per week. On top of this the average student was spending over £109 per week taking into account food, transport, course books and leisure activities.

Philip Suter of believes that one item that many tenants do not spend money on is insurance for their personal belongings whilst they are undertaking their Uni course.

Philip said "Many students attitude would be that their computer or bike would never be stolen so why take out insurance."

These days the average student has a computer, ipod, mobile phone plus a bicycle. There can be a lot of valuable equipment and insurance companies like HomeLet and Endsleigh offer policies for student tenants. The average cost of a student burglary is £900? The most commonly stolen items are personal laptops / computers and other electrical goods. A student has to think about the cost of replacing a cd player, the cds as well, the computer, clothes and other personal belongings.

Philip went on to say" It is really the responsibility of the parents to make sure that their son or daughter's possessions are properly insured whilst they are away at college or university. In most cases this is probably the first time they have lived away from home and don't even think of the insurance issue. When my younger son was a student, I always arranged contents insurance for him as I know he would never have considered it himself."

Students tend to move around a fair bit during the course of their studies, in some cases to another university in a different city. Many of the student rental policies are portable so not only can they be changed from one student house to another in the same area, but also to other cities in the UK.

More information can be found at the jml insurance website

Company Information

jml is part of jml Property Services, the trading name of Jeffrey Milner Ltd. The company is an UK based company that was established in 1979. jml insurance acts as an introducer for insurance companies selling property insurance including landlord and tenant rental products, pet insurance, wedding insurance, motor insurance, car hire excess insurance, travel insurance and non standard insurance products. Originally for rental property insurance in 2002 with products like HomeLet and Letsure, other specialist products like car rental excess insurance from were soon added. Today there is a very large selection of products including specialist providers for ex-offenders, overseas property insurance, business maternity cover etc. They also operate an online marketing service for owners of holiday home property to advertise and are part of the jml Group that includes jml Training and Consultancy. Philip Suter has been involved in the letting business in the south of England for over 30 years.

© jml Property Services August 2008


Looking for Insurance for Students? Click On logo

Looking for Car Insurance for Students? Click on logo 



 Click Here for more information

  Click Here for more information

Back to jml Press Releases

This release is also at:

SANEPR - Main website

PressBox - Main website

PR-USA - Main website

Free Press Release - Main website

The Open Press Main website



Andrew Copeland International Property Insurance logo